- 1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water(105-115 degrees)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 5 1/2 cups flour ( I use 50% bread flour and 50% hard white whole wheat flour)
- Place rolled oats in large bowl and pour the boiling water over the oats. Let stand for 15 minutes or till mixture is lukewarm.
- Sprinkle yeast over the 1/4 cup warm water in a small bowl, stir to mix. Let stand 5 minutes to proof.
- Add honey, salt, butter and yeast mixture to the oat mix. Add egg. Mix well.
- Stir in enough of the flour so dough can be handled ( approximately 4 1/2 to 5 cups). Dough will be sticky due to honey and oats)
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Knead dough until elastic, but still rather sticky, adding flour as needed.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and turn to grease surface of dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place till doubled.
- Punch dough down and turn onto lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Shape each piece into a loaf. Place loaves into greased 8x4x2-inch pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place till doubled in size.
- Bake at 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or till loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.