- 5 cups water
- 1-1 1/2 cups fruit cut in small pieces (I use a fresh apple, pear, or peach if in season combined with raisins, craisens, dried cherries, dried apricots etc.)
- 1/4 cup multigrain cereal (eg. Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla OR almond extract
- Favorite nuts (we like walnuts, pecans or slivered almonds)
- your favorite yogurt
- Combine water and fruit in 4 quart saucepan with lid. Bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down and simmer for several minutes until fresh fruit is soft and dried fruit is plump.
- Add multigrain cereal and oats. Simmer on medium heat for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and cinnamon. Cover and let sit for a minute.
- Spoon into serving bowls. (Makes 4-5 large servings)
- Sprinkle with nuts and top with 4-8 ounces of yogurt.
- Garnish with fresh berries if desired. Also can be served with milk or half and half.
We refrigerate leftovers for easy warming later in the week.