- 2 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 pound of butter (4 sticks)
- 6 eggs (separated)
- 6 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy in a mixer.
- Add egg yolks one at a time and vanilla.
- Add all dry ingredients.
- Beat egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff.
- Fold egg whites into first mixture.
- Bake on a hot, well greased waffle iron until golden brown. (waffle irons differ, in mine, it takes 2 1/2 minutes to produce 8 cookies at a time, two in each square). It is only necessary to grease the waffle iron for the first batch if using a Teflon coated waffle iron.
- Cool on wire racks, lifting each with the tines of a fork from the waffle iron.
- Keeps for a week in airtight containers. Freezes beautifully.
For speed and ease in baking, walnut-sized balls may be rolled ahead of time instead of dropping dough from a teaspoon. Makes approximately 8-10 dozen depending on the size of the ball.