- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups mashed overripe bananas
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour two 9×5 inch loaf pans.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking soda into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the butter, white sugar and only 1/4 cup brown sugar.
- Into the butter and sugar mixture, stir in the bananas, eggs and walnuts until blended.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and stir just until blended.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two loaf pans.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove and sprinkle remaining brown sugar on top.
- Continue cooking another 40-50 minutes or until knife inserted into the crown of loaf comes out clean.
- Place loaves under broiler until brown sugar melts a little more.
- Let the loaves cool in the pans for at least 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack.