- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup milk
- separately– 1/2 cup sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 cup melted butter
- All ingredients work best at room temperature.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the shortening and sugar until fluffy then add egg.
- Sift the dry ingredients together.
- Alternate mixing the dry ingredients with the milk, starting with the dry.
- Grease and flour a 9” round baking pan or 12 cup muffin tin. These are usually made in the former so the following instructions will be for the 9” round pan.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. The batter will be a bit stiff. Smooth as best as you can since the batter doesn’t really spread that much while it bakes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. 15-20 minutes for muffin tins.
- Let cool briefly in the pan then finish cooling on a rack.
- Cut into six wedges. Dip each wedge into the melted butter then into the sugar and cinnamon mix.
- This recipe converts well to non-dairy, if coconut milk is the alternative.