- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- dash salt
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream, softened and divided
- 1 graham cracker crust (9 inches)
- whipped topping, fresh mint and lemon peel for garnish
- In a small saucepan, combine lemon juice, sugar, butter and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat till sugar is dissolved and butter melted.
- Whisk a small amount of the sugar mixture into the eggs several times. Return all to the saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat till mixture reaches 160 F or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Refrigerate till cool.
- Spread half of the ice cream in crust. Freeze for 1 hour or till firm.
- Cover with half of the lemon mixture and freeze for 1 hour.
- Repeat layers. After 2nd layer of lemon mixture, cover and freeze several hours or overnight.
- Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving. Garnish if desired.