- 2 slices Artisan style bread (or one of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 fresh egg, any size
- cracked black pepper, as desired
- 1 to 4 ounces sliced or shredded Gruyere cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- 1 cup fresh arugula, rinsed and dried
- Fry the egg in a preheated (medium heat) nonstick skillet and oil, breaking the yolk after the whites have begun to set, if desired.
- Cook to desired opaqueness. Set aside and sprinkle with pepper.
- In the same skillet, with the heat slightly reduced, place a slice of bread with one side buttered, butter side down.
- Top with two or three slices, or about an ounce and half, of cheese.
- Top the cheese with the arugula and cooked egg. Add more cheese if desired.
- Top with the remaining slice of bread, one side buttered and facing up.
- When the bottom slice of bread is browned to your liking, gently press down on the sandwich. Gently flip the sandwich, careful not to allow the fillings to spill out.