There is nothing that Rachel Johnson (Member Relations Manager at Cherryland Electric Cooperative) loves more than her grandmother’s pumpkin chiffon pie. Passed down from one generation to another, the recipe is now ingrained into the fabric of her family history. Read the whole story of how this pie came to mean so much to her family here.
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 slightly beaten egg yolks
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 9-inch pie crust, prepared according to package directions
- Combine first 7 ingredients in double boiler over boiling water.
- Stir in milk, egg yolks, and pumpkin. Cook until gelatin dissolves and thickens, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and chill until partially set.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and beat to stiff peaks. Fold into pumpkin mixture and transfer to the pie crust.