- 2 pounds Italian sausage
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 quarts (12 cups) chicken broth
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannelloni beans
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces spinach leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- 1/2 pound soup shells
- Remove sausage from casings and brown over medium-high heat in the bottom of your largest stockpot. Crumble sausage as it browns.
- Add the carrots, onion and garlic and saute until tender and starting to turn a bit golden, about 7 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, beans and basil. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Cover the pot and continue cooking, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and cook until just wilted. Taste and season with salt and pepper, according to your preference.
- Cook noodles per package directions.
- Combined noodles with soup.
- Serve hot garnished with grated Parmesan, if desired.