- 1 small onion, grated
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 slice fresh white bread, crust trimmed, torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 12 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound curly endive, coarsely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- To make the meatballs: stir the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl to blend. Stir in the cheese, beef and pork. Using 1 1/2 teaspoons for each shape, form the meat mixture into 1 inch meatballs; place on baking sheet.
- To make the soup: bring the broth to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and endive and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the endive is tender, about 8 minutes. Whisk the eggs and cheese in a medium bowl to blend. Stir the soup in a circular motion. Gradually drizzle the egg mixture into the moving broth, stirring gently with a fork to form thin strands of egg, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and serve. Finish with parmesan cheese if desired.