- 2 pounds ground chuck.
- 1/4 cup sweet red pepper, diced medium fine.
- 1/4 cup sweet yellow pepper, diced medium fine.
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) diced green chiles, drained and dried with a paper towel – 1 can for hamburger patties and 1 can for Kickin Zion Heat Sauce.
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained well.
- 1 tablespoon Koops Arizona Heat Mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoon AND 1 Tablespoon chili powder (1 1/2 teaspoon for patties & 1 Tablespoon for Kickin Zion Heat Sauce).
- 1 tablespoon Emeril’s Kick It Up Green Pepper Sauce (or Green Tabasco Sauce).
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped medium fine.
- 1 tablespoon Chilpotle Pepper Adobo Sauce (I use San Marcos brand, but it comes in several different brands).
For Kickin Zion Heat Sauce:
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 can (as already listed above) diced green chiles, drained and dried with paper towel.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (as already listed above).
Remaining Ingredients to be used during and after grilling:
- 6 presliced pieces medium cheddar cheese; fold the four corners on each slice up to create a smaller, more rounded slice that will fit on the hamburger top.
- 6 soft whole grain hamburger buns, split.
- 6 romaine lettuce leaves, about 4 1/2 inches in diameter each.
- 6 large tomato slices (1/4 inch thick).
- In large bowl combine ground chuck, red pepper, yellow pepper, 1 can green chilis, black beans, Koops Mustard, 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, Emeril’s Green Pepper Sauce, salt, onion and Chilpotle Pepper Adobo Sauce.
- Mix gently.
- Use a one cup size Rubbermaid plastic top that is 5″ in diameter and a 12″ x 12″ piece of Suran Wrap placed in the plastic top as a hamburger mold. Eye ball the meat mixture in the bowl and divide it into 6 equal balls of meat.
- Place a ball of meat in the “hamburger mold” and flatten it out to the edges to make a perfectly round pattie.
- After forming each pattie, place it on a plate and cover with Suran wrap – refrigerate until ready to grill.
- To make Kickin Zion Heat Sauce:
- In small bowl combine mayonnaise, 1 can green chiles (drained) and 1 Tablespoon chili powder. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Grill burgers and towards end of grilling add cheese. To assemble each burger: lay on each bun top – 1 lettuce leaf and a slice tomato. When serving each person can spread Kickin Zion Heat Sauce on top of bun as desired!