- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons powdered cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspooons baking soda
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup cold water
Frosting Ingredients (not vegan)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoon powdered cocoa
- 1 cup HOT water
- 8 teaspoon margarine
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, salt and baking soda into an un-greased cake pan. Mix with a fork until it looks uniform in color.
- Make 3 holes in the mixture.
- Pour oil into the first hole, don’t worry if it overflows.
- Pour vanilla into the second hole and third holes.
- Add cold water.
- Mix with a fork until it is well blended.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees oven for 25 – 30 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean when inserted in center of cake.
- In a medium saucepan mix together sugar, salt, cornstarch, cocoa and hot water.
- Cook on medium heat stirring constantly until mixture becomes a little thicker than pudding.
- Add margarine and vanilla and stir until blended.
- Pour over hot cake, (do not cool frosting before using). Use a spatula to smooth the frosting out.
- Let the cake cool and then it’s best to keep it refrigerated as it is a very moist cake and will only keep for a couple of days if not refrigerated.
2/3 cup vegetable oil can be substituted with 1/3 cup apple sauce = 1/3 cup vegetable oil if desired.
THANKS tnmyer I LOVE TRYING NEW RECIPES…. AND BEING A DIABETE YOU MADE IT A RECIPE I CAN TRY….