- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce, mashed bananas, puréed strawberries, or puréed fruit of your choice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional; good with apple or banana flavored doughnuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar or cinnamon-sugar, for coating
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease two standard doughnut pans. Note: If you don’t have doughnut pans, you can bake these in a standard muffin tin.
- Beat together oil, eggs, sugar, puréed fruit, vanilla, cinnamon (if using), salt, and baking powder until smooth.
- Add the flour, stirring just until smooth.
- Fill the wells of the doughnut pans nearly to the rim; use about 1/4 cup of batter in each well. If using muffin pans, fill each well about 3/4 full; the recipe makes about 15, so you’ll need to bake in two batches (unless you have two muffin pans).
- Bake the doughnuts for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean. If you’re making muffins, they’ll need to bake for 20 to 23 minutes.
- Remove the doughnuts from the oven, and loosen their edges. After about 5 minutes, transfer them to a rack.
- While the doughnuts are still warm (but no longer fragile), gently shake them, 1 or 2 at a time, in a clean paper bag or baggie with the sugar. If you’ve made muffins, sprinkle their tops with sugar.
- Cool completely, and wrap airtight; store at room temperature for several days. Freeze for longer storage.
- To make fancy doughnuts: Fill the hole in each doughnut with your choice of ice cream, pudding, mousse, sliced fruit, etc. Top with sauce; add whipped cream if desired.
I like to freeze these; since they are not fried in grease, they store well in the freezer. When it’s time to serve, I pop them in the microwave for a minute or so, then depending on what I have on hand, plate them and fill with ice cream, fruit, pie filling etc., for an over-the-top looking treat in just a few minutes!