- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound stew meat cut into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes (can sub. with browned turkey or Italian sausage)
- 7 cups beef broth or beef stock
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 cup macaroni, uncooked
- 3-4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a 6-8 quart Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add stew meat and cook until browned.
- Stir in broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, onion, celery, and seasonings. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 1 to 1 and 1/4 hours or until beef is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add cabbage, zucchini, carrots, garbanzo beans and macaroni.
- Return soup to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with Parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately.