- 1 angel food cake mix, baked using the directions for 2 loaf pans
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup light rum
- 1 pound pecans, finely ground
- Cut the cooled angel food cake into 1 1/2 inch slices; cut each slice into 4 squares. Set aside.
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl; blend with mixer on low speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Gradually add the powdered sugar, blending on low speed for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add half the rum, then blend again on low speed for 1 minute, adding more of the remaining rum until you get a frosting that is spreading consistency but not runny.
- Spread out the ground pecans in a shallow pan.
- Spread rum frosting generously on all sides of each cake square, then dredge the squares in the ground pecans. Transfer the rum cakes in one layer to a waxed paper-lined plastic storage container to chill before serving. Can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Makes about 36 rum cakes.