- 1 lean boneless beef chuck roast (about 5 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1-2 small cans beef broth*
- 1 cup chili sauce
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke, optional
- 12-16 hamburger buns
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides in 1 tablespoon oil. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, sauté onions in
remaining oil until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients to the saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour sauce over roast. Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours, turn roast and continue to bake 2 more hours until roast is very tender.
- Remove roast from oven, shred with fork and return to Dutch oven with sauce.
- *If too stiff, add more beef broth to the right consistency. If there is extra, just freeze in containers.