- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 pound smoked steelhead* (rainbow trout), skin and bones removed, flaked into ½ inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 6 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 quart whipping cream
- Fry bacon. Just before it gets crisp, add the onion and celery. Sauté. Then place in a large stock pot.
- Add water, smoked steelhead, lemon pepper, and potatoes. Boil and cook uncovered until potatoes are mostly cooked but still firm.
- Stir in the butter and whipping cream until the butter dissolves and the whipping cream is heated to the temperature of the rest of the chowder.
- Serve immediately.*Smoked salmon can also be used.