- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained, cooked according to package (I prefer using chicken stock/broth or vegetable stock/broth as the liquid to cook the quinoa.)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 bulb garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely chopped (can substitute with dried chives, but use less.)
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 2-3 tomatoes, chopped or use grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 large English cucumber, diced
- 1-2 avocados, pitted, peeled and slivered or diced
- 16 ounces black beans, drained
- shredded white cheese, optional
- Feta cheese, optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
- grilled chicken, or sausages, optional
- Rinse, drain and cook quinoa according to directions on package. Can substitute water for chicken or vegetable broth or stock.
- In small sauce pan, heat black beans through.
- Chop/mince onion, garlic, chives and pepper, and sauté in skillet until tender with salt and pepper to taste. Mix into cooked quinoa, and keep warm.
- Chop tomatoes, cucumber, and avocados, placing each in separate serving bowls.
- To serve, top quinoa with black beans, chopped tomatoes, cucumbers and avocado with salt and pepper to taste. *Optional, yet highly encouraged: sprinkle with shredded cheese and feta and serve with grilled chicken or a sausage* of your choice. (Recommended: chicken spinach- feta sausage)