- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 28 ounces tomato puree
- pinch saffron threads
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 cup orzo, dry
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook over medium-low heat for the 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Stir in the chicken stock, tomatoes, saffron, salt, and black pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill a medium pot with water, add 2 teaspoons salt, and bring to a boil. Add the orzo and cook for 7 minutes. (It will finish cooking in the soup.) Drain the orzo and add it to the soup. Stir in the cream, return the soup to a simmer, and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve immediately.