- ½ pound whole venison backstrap
- 2 tablespoons butter
- onion, sliced
- mushrooms, 4 0unces, sliced
- 4 Muenster cheese slices (may substitute or combine with pepper-jack cheese)
- 2 Brioche buns
Horseradish Cream Sauce:
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- Heat oven to 425 F.
- Rub backstrap with generous amounts of salt and pepper, according to your liking.
- Heat skillet over medium high heat and melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add onion and mushroom slices. Cook until onions are translucent. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Melt second tablespoon of butter. Add backstrap to pan and sear on all sides. Turn so all sides are browned. This will take approximately 10-12 minutes. Meat will NOT be cooked through.
- Put browned backstrap on cooking pan and put into preheated oven. Bake for 5-15 minutes depending on how well done you like your venison.
- Remove from oven and let meat rest for 5 minutes.
- While meat is roasting/resting, make sauce by mixing mustard and horseradish into sour cream. May add or reduce ingredients depending on your tastes.
- Use oven to melt cheese slices on both sides of Brioche buns.
- Once cheese is melted and meat has rested, thinly slice backstrap and layer onto buns.
- Cover with onions and mushrooms. Put sauce on top of all before putting bun together.
- Serve immediately.