- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour (or gluten free flour blend)
- 1 cup rye flour: light, medium, or pumpernickel
- 1 cup yellow or white cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, optional; for increased sweetness
- 3/4 cup dark molasses
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Grease the inside of four wide-mouth pint canning jars, readily available at hardware stores and some supermarkets. Grease the undersides of the lids, too. If you have a slow cooker large enough to hold the four jars, get it out.
- To make the bread: Combine all of the ingredients, stirring until smooth.
- Divide the batter among the four jars; either eyeball them to make sure the batter is equally distributed (it will come about 2/3 of the way up the inside of the jar), or weigh out the batter as you go; each jar will have a scant 10 ounces batter. Place a lid on each jar, and screw it on very loosely, just enough so it won’t fall off.
- Place the jars into the slow cooker, and fill it about half full with water, or enough to just about come to the level of the batter in the jars.
- Cook on high for about 2 1/2 hours, until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the breads comes out clean.
- Carefully remove the hot jars from the slow cooker. As soon as you can comfortably handle them, remove the lids. Wait about 5 minutes, then gently shake each jar back and forth a few times to loosen the breads. Turn them out onto a rack to cool.
- Slice and serve. Wrap any leftovers tightly, and refrigerate or freeze.
- Yield: 4 small breads, about 8 slices each.