- 1 cup water or chicken broth
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking couscous, uncooked (may sub wild rice or a grain mixture)
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped unpeeled cucumber
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts or slivered almonds (optional)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring water or broth to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in couscous. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Uncover; let cool 10 minutes.
- Combine cooked couscous, dried cherries, carrots, cucumber, green onions and pine nuts in a large bowl. Combine vinegar, olive oil and mustard; mix well. Pour vinegar mixture over couscous mixture; mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve chilled or at room temperature.