Prepare to taste the cake that took Huron Mountain Bakery’s Joe Heck and Marybeth Kurtz from Midtown Bakery & Café all the way to the finals of “Winner Cakes All” on Food Network. This cake recipe combines these top bakers’ skills and delivers award-winning flavor straight to your kitchen.
Ingredients: Marybeth’s Mom’s Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 12 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
Directions: Marybeth’s Mom’s Chocolate Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix on low speed the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Then add the wet ingredients in order on low; water, vanilla, oil, and vinegar.
- Mix till smooth and pour into greased and papered round cake pans, wrap pans with cake strips.
- Yields two-8-inch round layers.
- Bake 50—60 minutes rotating at half of the time. Let cakes cool completely.
Ingredients: Joe’s Peanut Butter Cream Frosting
- 1 pound softened salted butter
- 2 pounds powdered sugar
- 1/8 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups smooth peanut butter
Directions: Joe’s Peanut Butter Cream Frosting
- Whip softened butter until light and fluffy. On low speed, add powdered sugar slowly until incorporated.
- Add heavy cream and whip until medium consistency.
- Microwave peanut butter until just liquid, then on a low setting, add peanut butter and whip until desired consistency.
Ingredients: Joe’s Chocolate Ganache
- 675 grams Belgian chocolate
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
Directions: Joe’s Chocolate Ganache
- Melt chocolate over a double boiler; remove from heat.
- Bring cream to a rolling boil. Stir half of the cream into chocolate until incorporated.
- Add second half of cream until combined and let it cool.
Cake Assembly Instructions
- Take one cooled 8-inch cake round and place on cake plate.
- Spread a thick layer of ganache over cake.
- On top of ganache, add one layer of buttercream frosting.
- Place second 8-inch cake round on top and use remaining buttercream to frost the entire cake (sides and top).
- Spread the remaining ganache over cake.