- 1 and ½ pounds of mushrooms (I prefer the larger ones, easier to clean and slice)
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 teaspoons flour
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 2 medium cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Quart of chicken stock
- 1 cup of half & half
- 1 tablespoon of white cooking wine
- Pepper to taste
- 4-5 large leaves of fresh basil (chiffonade)
- One half cup of chopped scallions or chives (fresh is best)
- Begin the roux by wiping clean (do not wash) the mushrooms and slicing thin (1/8” or so).
- Melt butter in a large stockpot and cook mushrooms covered for about five minutes on low heat.
- While mushrooms are cooking, dice the onions.
- Add salt to the stockpot and stir. Then reserve about one fourth of the mushrooms on the side.
- Add the onions and grated garlic. Cover and cook for another five minutes.
- Add the flour and mix well. Remove the pot from the heat.
- After the roux is completed, and the half & half slowly and whisk on low heat.
- Add the stock slowly, whisking on low heat. Then add the yogurt, whisking on low heat.
- Add the chiffonade basil, stirring (not whisking) in well. Then add the wine and stir in.
- Using an immersion blender (or mixer), combine and chop all ingredients thoroughly. The texture will NOT be smooth.
- Add most of the mushrooms that were set aside, saving about 2-3 slices for each person being served.
- Cover and continue cooking slowly, bringing the soup to just below boiling.
- Serve with two or three of the sliced mushrooms in the middle.
- Garnish with scallions or chives.
One of my favorites that my father in-law makes! If you try this recipe you will not be disappointed!!!
I make this often. Everyone loves it.
This is my absolute favorite soup!
Whats not to like about mushroom soup ? This is one of the best !!