- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pecan pieces
- To make the crust: Preheat the oven to 325 F. Lightly grease a 9″ x 13″ pan and line with parchment paper for easiest serving. Make sure the paper extends up and over the sides of the pan on two opposite sides so you can use it as a sling to remove the bars from the pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the butter and light brown sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the flour and salt to make a soft dough.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared pan. Use your lightly floured hands to press the dough into an even layer, ensuring you’ve reached into the corners and to the edges of the pan.
- Prick the dough all over with a fork.
- Bake the crust until lightly golden, 14-18 minutes. Remove it from the oven
- To make the filling: Place all the filling ingredients except the pecans into a large saucepan. Place the pan over medium-high heat and heat, stirring regularly, until the mixture is smooth and has started to boil; this should take 2-3 minutes
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the pecans.
- To assemble and bake: Pour the filling over the hot crust, letting it spread to the edges and corners of the pan and using a spatula to smooth the pecans into an even layer.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until the filling is bubbling across the surface, 15-20 minutes
- Remove the pan before lifting them out to cut and serve.
- Store any leftovers, well wrapped , at room temperature for several days; freeze for longer storage.