- 3 pounds fresh ripe tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs (basil, parsley and oregano)
- fresh basil & parsley for serving
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, optional for garnish
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Wash and cut tomatoes. For smaller apricot-sized tomatoes, cut in half. For larger tomatoes, cut into quarters or eighths.
- Place tomatoes, garlic, onion, bell pepper, olive oil, salt, pepper and dried herbs on a large pan.
- Roast 25 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes. Turn oven to broil and broil 3-4 minutes or until some of the tomatoes get a little bit of char color on them.
- Bring broth to a boil; add tomatoes and fresh herbs. Using a hand blender or immersion hand blender, blend mixture until smooth and creamy. Add heavy cream if using and stir.
- Top with parmesan cheese, croutons or a drizzle of heavy cream.